Our dogs go through a fast once a week, on Sundays unless something is planned (like a hike).
Sundays are also my fasting & meditation days. Basically, we all look forward to Sundays because:
all day long :)
Technicalities on fasting, from Kymythy Schultze:
- Fasting enables the energy used to digest food to be used for other things in the body (healing, cleansing, maintenance). Many dogs and cats instinctively fast when ill.
- Fasting is a normal occurrence for carnivores.
- Water aids in flushing out toxins from the body, and therefore should be available on fast days.
- What is good for one dog/family may not be good for another. Know your dog (and know yourself) before you decide to regularly fast your dog.
- It’s important to remember to make sure your pet has plenty of fresh water on fast day.
- Do not do fast puppies, lactating bitches or pregnant bitches.